News addict.

I have always been a news addict. Since childhood.

And some time back I read this "news".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/apr/12/news-is-bad-rolf-dobelli

When I was growing up, "The Hindu" was the only source of news. I didn't watch news on TV and there was no internet.

Even when electronic news arrived, I preferred reading hard copy of "The Hindu".

But now, after coming to US, news consumption has changed for the worse. My focus has changed to NDTV, IBNLive, CNN, Google news etc. I am even addicted to watching Arnab Goswami's debates, mostly for comic relief. But that's certainly a new low.

The article says "Out of the ­10,000 news stories you may have read in the last 12 months, did even one allow you to make a better decision about a serious matter in your life".

Seriously, I don't remember one. What I remember right now are how bombs and guns are going off in USA and how shitty governance is in India.

So today, with the sacred sanctity of this blog as a sakshi, I make an oath to stop reading news for a week and then check how it has improved my life. I am sure if not anything else, I will get back a lot of time.

Gradually, I would like to shift to reading hindu.com alone. And maybe economist.

So that means, no reliance-owned media, no american news, no reddit, no checking news feeds in twitter and no quora(or  maybe a little quora)



0 comments: